Comunidades Unidas Peru (CU Peru) works to improve the health of rural communities in the Peruvian Amazon by providing health care trainings to community health workers. The Event Committee is responsible for organizing fundraising events to benefit CU Peru. Currently we hold at least two fundraisers each year, a formal benefit in the fall and student-run pub crawl in the spring, therefore members will be engaged most often during those times.
About CU Peru
CU Peru is 501c3 organization that collaborates with health care graduate students to improve the health of individuals living in the Peruvian Amazon Basin by teaching community health workers medical knowledge, skills and preventative health measures to better their lives and those of their communities.
Time & Duration
Committee Members will serve a 1-year term with no limit on consecutive terms. Time commitment will be approximately 20 hours twice yearly, with additional hours as needed.
CU Peru is located in the Posner Center for International Development in Denver, CO, however, the Committee Members can be located anywhere.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend Event Committee meetings quarterly and other events and functions as requested. Review agenda and supporting materials prior to meetings.
- Assist CU Peru members and staff in organizing fundraising events including budget development, managing vendors, identifying potential sponsors, coordinating volunteers, promoting events, acquiring and managing silent auction items, managing guest experiences, collaborating with our graphic designer to design invitations and promotional materials and any other related tasks.
- Act as an ambassador and advocate for CU Peru in personal and professional settings.
- Assist in identification and recruitment of new Event Committee members.
Core Knowledge & Skills
Ideal candidates for the Event Committee are passionate about nonprofit work and aiding underserved communities, fundraising and event planning.
- Experience in event planning and coordination of volunteers and staff
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and solve problems with enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Ability to successfully assemble, coordinate and manage volunteers, vendors and inter- and intra-organization relationships
- Passion for CU Peru’s values with a commitment to deliver results that support CU Peru’s mission
Event Committee meetings will be held quarterly, or as often as deemed necessary, and will be of appropriate length to sufficiently plan and manage fundraising events. Meetings will be utilized for discussion and deliberation of important matters, planning and coordination of events.
Meeting location will be determined by the Executive Director with input from committee members. When necessary, distance technologies will be used to allow members to participate who are unable to attend in-person.
There will be no formal compensation for Event Committee members. CU Peru will cover all site costs associated with the advisory board meetings such as space rental, technology costs (conference calls and video conferencing, equipment rental and technicians), food services and parking. Costs related to travel (mileage, accommodations and other expenses) will be the responsibility of the Event Committee member.
Submit your resume or CV and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “[Your Name] – Special Events Committee” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. No phone calls please.
CU Peru is committed to equal opportunities and treatment for all regardless of race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or marital status.