Comunidades Unidas Peru (CU Peru) works to improve the health of rural communities in the Peruvian Amazon by providing health care trainings to community health workers. The Curriculum Advisory Board is responsible to act as an educational expert to assist in the development and review of CU Peru’s community health worker (CHW) curriculum. The CHW curriculum is developed for summer and winter trainings; as a result, Advisory Board members will be engaged most often in the fall and spring.
About CU Peru
CU Peru is 501c3 organization that collaborates with health care graduate students to improve the health of individuals living in the Peruvian Amazon Basin by teaching community health workers medical knowledge, skills and preventative health measures to better their lives and those of their communities.
Time & Duration
Advisory Board Members will serve a 2-year term with no limit on consecutive terms. Time commitment will be approximately 10-15 hours twice yearly, with additional hours as needed.
CU Peru is located in the Posner Center for International Development in Denver, CO, however, the Advisory Board Member can be located anywhere.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend Advisory Board meetings quarterly and other events and functions as requested. Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board meetings.
- Assist CU Peru members and staff in curriculum development using evidenced-based methods, provide feedback in a regularly and timely manner and review the final curriculum prior to Spanish language translation.
- Identify best practice standards for curriculum development and assist in researching techniques and educational strategies for targeting low- and middle-income countries and low literacy populations.
- Work with CU Peru members to ensure the curriculum is current, relevant and up-to-date, while acting as an educational resource.
- Act as an ambassador and advocate for CU Peru in personal and professional settings.
- Assist in identification and recruitment of new Curriculum Advisory Board members.
- Contribute $250 annually to CU Peru as a give or get.
Core Knowledge & Skills
Ideal candidates for the Curriculum Advisory Board are passionate about education, enjoy developing curriculums and collaborating with students and colleagues to develop innovative ways to deliver effective trainings to a low literacy audience. We seek experienced problem solvers with a strong background in education, curriculum development and evidenced-based teaching practices.
- Graduate degree in education or 7+ years of professional work in education and curriculum development
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills requiring experience with low literacy audiences
- Solid understanding of the realities, complexities and required cultural sensitivities of curriculum development for an international setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and solve problems with enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Ability to successfully assemble, coordinate and manage complex inter-group collaborations and partnerships within and outside of CU Peru
- Commitment to innovation and willing to think out of the box
- Passion for CU Peru’s values with a commitment to deliver results that support CU Peru’s mission
Advisory Board meetings will be held quarterly, or as often as deemed necessary, and will be of appropriate length to sufficiently review the proposed curriculum. Meetings will be utilized for discussion and deliberation of important matters and translated into decisions and recommendations regarding the ongoing growth, development and enhancement of the CU Peru’s CHW curriculum.
Meeting location will be determined by the Executive Director with input from advisory board members. When necessary, distance technologies will be used to allow members to participate who are unable to attend in-person.
There will be no formal compensation for advisory board members. CU Peru will cover all site costs associated with the advisory board meetings such as space rental, technology costs (conference calls and video conferencing, equipment rental and technicians), food services and parking. Costs related to travel (mileage, accommodations and other expenses) will be the responsibility of the advisory board member.
Submit your resume or CV and a letter of interest to email@example.com, with “[Your Name] – Curriculum Advisory Board” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. No phone calls please.
CU Peru is committed to equal opportunities and treatment for all regardless of race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or marital status.